Skin cancer is an abnormal growth of skin cells. There are several types of skin cancer. Basal cell carcinoma and squamous cell carcinoma are two of the most common types and are usually caused by extensive sun exposure.
Symptoms of basal cell skin cancer include:
- A shiny pink, red, pearly, or translucent bump
- Pink skin growths with elevated borders that crust over in the center
- A raised reddish patch of skin that may crust or itch
- A scar-like area that may be yellow, white or waxy in appearance without a defined border
Symptoms of squamous cell carcinomas include:
- Scaly red patches on the skin with irregular borders that may bleed
- Long-lasting open sores
- A rough raised growth with an indentation in the middle
- A growth that is wart-like in appearance
At the Dermatology & Laser Centre, we understand the physical and emotional effect of skin cancer and treatment. That’s why we are proud to offer Mohs micrographic surgery, if surgical treatment is required. Mohs micrographic surgery is considered to be one of the most effective options for the treatment of basal cell and squamous cell carcinomas.*
In terms of skin checks and full-body mapping, we have the DermoScan and VIVASCOPE systems. With DermoScan, a complete, full-body status report of the chest, back, and sides is automatically and quickly produced with just four clicks. It provides a comprehensive, preventative approach to skin cancer and allows us to identify and diagnose new lesions on your body. VIVASCOPE is an in vivo confocal imaging tool that uses a laser to provide real-time, high res images of your skin and superficial collagen layers. It can also help us to detect new skin lesions and monitor the changes of existing ones. With both of these devices, we can provide you with a comprehensive analysis of your skin and help you stay ahead of skin cancer.
*Individual results may vary; not a guarantee.Schedule Now